Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player not working on Windows 8.1, IE 11

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2014 Apr 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continued problems with web pages on Windows 8.1

Always saying "Thie webpage wants to run the following add-on: 'Adobe Flash Player' from 'Microsoft Windows Third Party Application...."

no matter what i pick, Allow, Allow always all ways keeps asking..

Yes the Plugin is Enabled.

Obviously if i turn off Active X filtering the message goes away, but doesnt help, as websites which require the flash player doesnt work...

Ive manually tried uninstalling the flash player, by using the uninstall tool and deleting the files, but this just broke it more... so had to system restore it...

Restored it back to a time before the issue, same thing !!

Using this link > http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

and selecting Test Flash Player, gives me an icon to get flash player, it click the icon, then loops back to same page...

Please dont tell me the solution is the Use Chrome or Use Firefox. As this isnt a solution.

I would like a fix for IE11

Anyone??

can someone tell me how to actually contact Adobe about this issue...

Thanks in advance, to anyone who gives some useful input to this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

This thread is way off the rails.  I'm going to lock it.

If you're currently experiencing an issue with Flash Player on Win8 with IE11, please start a new thread.

Including the following basic details on the issue would be helpful to get you an expedient answer:

Read Before Posting: How To Get A Useful Answer To Your Question

This generic guidance covers the majority of the questions I see about Win8 and IE11

--

First, confirm that ActiveX Filtering is configured to allow Flash content:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dazeus wrote:

...Please dont tell me the solution is the Use Chrome or Use Firefox. As this isnt a solution.

I would like a fix for IE11

Anyone??

can someone tell me how to actually contact Adobe about this issue...

Thanks in advance, to anyone who gives some useful input to this.

1. Continuing to use IE11 will continue your problems and your frustration. I won't tell you to use Chrome or Firefox, but THAT'S what will take care of this for you.  What you see  is a result of this:

"User-Agent Strings"

That doesn't mean a lot, I'm sure, but it's the root of your problems, and Flash Player has nothing to do with it.

Microsoft "rewrote" the User-Agent Strings for the abomination they call their latest and greatest browser (Read more here).

User-Agent Strings are what websites use to identify the browser you're using and provide the proper content for it's browser engine, like ActiveX stuff, and Flash or HTML5 video.

Thanks to the geniuses in Redmond, WA, the User-Agent Strings for IE11 (which has a Trident engine), ID it as either "Gecko" (Firefox) or "Webkit" (Chrome).

Trouble is: when the site the directs to the content for one of these two engines, the Trident engine in IE can't intepret it and the site then sees IE as an "unidentified" browser.

The problem with an unidentified browser is that the plug-ins in that browser aren't recognized either, so even though you're up to date, it says you need the latest Flash Player when you use IE11.

YouTube... has converted to HTML5 video so if it doesn't detect Flash Player, it can display HTML5 (MP4) video which requires no plug-in to play.

Facebook can't do that, because HTML5 doesn't apply to games... only video.

Microsoft has no plans to "fix" the mess they've created because they think it's a great idea to block you out of the websites you visit.

They recommend using "Compatibility View" and pretending that you're using an older verison of IE...

The Problem with THAT is that it's seen limited success, and you have to enable it for EVERY page that has problems... individually.

I'm not big on "pretending" so I WON'T recommend actually using another browser.... but here they are.

Firefox (from Mozilla)

Opera (from Opera)

Safari (from Apple)

Chrome (from Google)

ANY of those will work where IE11 won't, with the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers), and Chrome doesn't even need that, because it has its own Flash Player plugin built in.

2. If you'd like a fix for IE... You'll need to go to Microsoft for it, but as I already stated, they have NO INTENTION of fixing the abominable mess they made because they think it's a great idea.

3. Contacting Adobe about Microsoft's garbage browser (and it IS garbage) won't do any good, because Adobe doesn't make IE11 and THAT'S wherein the problem lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you reply,

So you are blaming MS ok fine.

Can you explain why it will work on 1 System with 8.1 and not on another?

And why it worked on IE11 3 days ago, and not now?

i am a fan of Chrome and use it mainly, but there are sites out their, which actually dont function correctly using Chrome, so its useful to switch back to IE for these sites to work..

Ialso  cannot believe this issue will never be resolved..

Do you work for Adobe?

I will now contact MS and ask their views on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain why it will work on 1 System with 8.1 and not on another?

No more than I can explain why it works on my Win 8.1 system but NOT in my Win 7 system.

And why it worked on IE11 3 days ago, and not now?

No more than I can explain why the Win 7 machine was fine for nealry six weeks, and now NOTHING Flash works in IE on it.

I also cannot believe this issue will never be resolved...

Since the problem has been PROVEN to be the User Agent Strings, and I've read several other places that MS has no plans to undo what they INTENTIONALLY SCREWED UP... I can believe it. I have nine systems (5 Windows - 4 Mac) with at least five browsers in each (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari and others). The ONLY one that gives me FlashPlayer troubles... is IE11 on the WIn 7 machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to all there is a problem with Mozilla fire-fox I have removed it from several machines just lately and installed chrome this works brilliantly there seems to be something in Mozilla that is effecting the network I use SKY since removing MF my connection hasnt failed since

MF is F****** about with the IP /mac address and it is vulnerable to attack don't use it I have tested it and windows doesn't like it

if you see the icon install flashplayer on chrome install it when you see the download window turn chrome off by pressing the x top right this will allow FP to install much quicker and less problems 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not read through the whole thread   but flash player is not working on fire fox either. So anyone with a suggestion on how to fix should make some big buck. I fought this now for over 4 months, I SICK of it and even more annoyed that there doesn't seem to be a fix for it why doesn't win. 8 or adobe do something about this POS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2014 May 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/flash-player-isnt-working-in-ie-11-win...

I got this fixed by registering the flash.ocx file.

try the below and check if it works for you.

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx

Copy the above onto a notepad and save it flash.bat and run it as an administrator by right clicking on the file and select run as administrator.

Try and open the website that you were unable to open so far.

[unquote]

worked for me !

EDIT: sorry this register fix may only work on some sites, the whole thread above at ms has a LOT of frustrated posters ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gravitonring wrote:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash\flash.ocx

That cannot possibly work, since flash.ocx is a very old Flash Player version that should not be present anywhere on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Pat, it seemed to stop the continuous request on one site, however, I had uninstalled Adobe Flash from IE 11 in Windows 8.1, this caused all sorts of stuff which attempts to patch only made it worse ..

I have just now restored my computer [a rebuilt laptop] to original settings and stayed with W 8 and IE 10, so far it has solved the problem, although Google Chrome solved the problem before the restoration..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem affects not only IE by Firefox as well.  When visiting websites that use flash (such as [url deleted by host]) the screen freezes, controls freeze and after quite some time an error message pops up stating either 1) that Flash has crashed or 2) Flash Shockwave experienced problems and needs to RETRY (which results in total program freeze) or DISABLE (which disables any video on that website).

This issue appears to be Flash itself being incompatible with Windows 8.1.  The problem has existed ever since 8.0 was released.  How do we know this?  One fix is to locate an old version of Adobe Flash 11.3 (search the web).  When Flash is uninstalled and 11.3 installed... problems go away.  That indicates either 1) A compatibility problem in Flash or 2) Flash trying to be compatible with 8.1 and thus disabling numerous websites.  Either way, there needs to be a fix from the Flash end, because obviously since 11.3 works... it's possible for Flash to work with 8.1.

As it is, even when 11.3 is installed Firefox gives a NAG message every time we visit a website that we're using an older version of Flash that may destroy our very existence on Earth and do we really wanna do this?  There's no way I've found to disable that NAG message.  And it's not like users have an option:  it's either 11.3 or websites don't work because of Flash.  The only other option I'm aware of is disabling Flash entirely... which eliminates crashes and delays but also disables video on numerous websites.

This is a major problem that has existed ever since Windows 8.0 and Flash 11.4 hit the market.  It hasn't been fixed as of today (Oct 24, 2014).  Obviously someone has dropped the ball and keeps blaming others for doing so-- Micro$oft blaming Adobe, Adobe blaming Micro$oft, and both blaming users for using older versions.  And then people wonder why so many companies are trying to knock Flash out of the picture.

Take responsibility for your product or be left behind.  That's how it works.  The problems still exists and has for months and months.  Who is going to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2014 Oct 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading through this thread, the obvious solution is not to use Windows 8.x - stay with Windows 7 until 10 is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue too! Lets hope that Microsoft will do something to rectify this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html, step 3 says to install a specific Microsoft KB patch.If you already have the patch installed, this step will fail.

I fixed my "Flash Player Disabled" problem in Windows 8.1 with IE11 by locating the relevant patch (from step 3)  in my Windows Update history and uninstalling it, and then manually reinstalling it from the Adobe page using the MSU Standalone Installer.

In my case the bad patch was KB3001237.

I spend a lot of time banging my head against the wall on this one,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2014 Nov 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found this worked for me, but being 8.1 the patch to uninstall was KB3004150.

I was so glad that it was such a simple fix. I had began to think that I had some kind of nasty on my machine requiring me to rebuild.

phew !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2014 Nov 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to immediately re-install the patch and still be OK.  It seems that the problem occurs when it is included in a bulk update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mismo problema aqui

yo uso los 3 navegadores IE, Firefox y Chrome y necesito los 3 funcionando

pero desde que actualize mi windows 8.1 y este actualizo el flash de mi internet explorer a la version 15.0.0.223 flash no volvio a funcionar mas!!!

por mas que habilito y desabilito el flash en IE 11 este no funciona, cuando ejecuto cualquier aplicacion en flash no lo abre sino lo quiere descargar

por favor adobe o microsoft arreglen este problema, llevo ya 3 dias con este problema y no se repara

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling KB3001237 or KB3004150.  Those updates have been known to break flash player.

Uninstall, and then reboot.  If flash is working, you should them be able to re-install them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

en mi caso yo desistale ambos updates KB3001237 y KB3004150 reinicie windows pero nada, flash player en ie 11 no aparece para nada, solo me queda a esperar que microsoft repare este fallo con un proximo update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look through your Windows update list for other Flash Player updates that may be a problem, like KB2982794, KB2938527, or others.  Also, try downloading the latest available patch from Microsoft for Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2014 Nov 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uninstalling KB3001237 or KB3004150 worked for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This thread is way off the rails.  I'm going to lock it.

If you're currently experiencing an issue with Flash Player on Win8 with IE11, please start a new thread.

Including the following basic details on the issue would be helpful to get you an expedient answer:

Read Before Posting: How To Get A Useful Answer To Your Question

This generic guidance covers the majority of the questions I see about Win8 and IE11

--

First, confirm that ActiveX Filtering is configured to allow Flash content:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

Internet Explorer 11 introduces a number of changes both to how the browser identifies itself to remote web servers, and to how it processes JavaScript intended to target behaviors specific to Internet Explorer. Unfortunately, this means that content on some sites will be broken until the content provider changes their site to conform to the new development approach required by modern versions of IE.

You can try to work around these issues by using Compatibility View:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/use-compatibility-view#ie=ie-11

If that is too inconvenient, using Google Chrome may be a preferable alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with a customer with the same issue and this is what worked for me. YouTube and go to where is says "request HTML5 player" press the button and it worked in IE/Firefox and Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say to click on the you tube link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not "solve" the problem,  It changes YouTube to use HTML5 instead of Flash.  All other Flash based websites will continue to fail.

If YouTube is the only Flash site you use, this is a fix.  However, the underlying problem of Flash being disabled remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well..the problem my customer was having was not being able to view videos on youtube...so maybe I should have been a little more specific...sorry about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines